Monday, February 12, 2018

Giftie McGiftersons


It's time to reveal some secret sewing! Recently I made baby quilts for two still-in-the-oven family members and they have been received by the expecting parents so I can share them here.


This one is called Hugs and Kishes, Covered With Fishes. The pattern is Hugs and Kisses by Lyn Brown, available for free here. I made it with a layer cake from Free Spirit fabrics.


The fabrics feature sea creatures like whales, fish, sharks, and crabs. The crab fabric also says "crabby crabby crabby" all over it, which cracks me up! This quilt is for my cousins Greer and Nate. Nate's parents, the doting grandparents, are both marine biologists. I've made two other oceanic quilts for this family: Scuba Dog and Dive Path.


You'll be SHOCKED to see this yellow plaid as the backing. It really is great fabric and I still have yards and yards and YARDS of it left. Floppy feather quilting in yellow thread gives nice texture and snuggly softness.


My cousins usually don't find out the gender of their baby until the day the little one arrives, so I thought these bright colors would work for them no matter what. 


I had the perfect stripe in my stash for binding, too. The colors in the layer cake included an usual burgundy that was also in this stripe, even though they are two completely different fabric lines. 


My brother's middle daughter, Charis, is just entering her third trimester. Charis and Nate (yes, another Nate!) are expecting a little sister for their darling son. I made Hungry Animal Alphabet for them. The panel is from Janet Wecker-Frisch, and features an animal, a food, and lots of other fun things to find that begin with each letter. 


The drawings are really sweet and well done. Here's a hippo in a hibiscus housecoat, eating a hamburger near a hat rack.


Who eats raspberries? A rhino in a rose-covered romper, of course! This one is my favorite because there's a quilt on the table and another hanging on the wall behind the quail. (The wall quilt is a bear paw pattern, if you must know.)


Charis is using soft colors in the bambina's nursery, so I bordered the panel squares with this nice tweedy gray Essex Linen and used sage green cornerstones.


On the back I used several pink fabrics. I wanted to put more pink on the front, but it didn't work quite right with the animal prints.


The border is another fabric from the same line, featuring a number of the hungry animals. I stitched a flanged binding with the sage green and a matching stripe. The quilting is straight lines that echo the blocks and diagonals across the middle of each block.

Charis said she ripped open the box as soon as it arrived because she knew what must be inside. That makes a quilting auntie very happy!

26 comments:

  1. Lucky little babies - they'll be all snuggled up in these ideal baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two really lovely quilts ... it's so great when a quilt is so happily received...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful baby gifts! Great choice of binding, and the picture of the quilt next to your boat is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby quilts, oh how I long to make a baby quilt, for my son and his soon to be wife. Love the alphabet fabric, I don't think the pink works on the front either, but it's the perfect backing. Hugs and kisses, so cute, perfect for boy or girls and reflects the family too, clever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are very cute and the sea creatures one - how perfect for the parents! The panel is gorgeous too. I think baby quilts are such fun and satisfying because they are quicker than larger ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Baby quilts are so fun to make, whether you know the gender or not! Your two are so fun! I love the hippo in the hisbiscus housecoat. Haha! Love those yardages that can be used for backing and other things, even though it seems like they go on forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very different, but very fun baby quilts. I love those alphabet animals. Both quilts are destined to be great family favorites and drug all over. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beutiful and will be loved and well used! That is why we quilt:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had the same alphabet panel in my stash for years! I think you have inspired me to get it out and make a quilt from it. Thank you for the lovely photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the name for the first quilt-you are so clever at naming your quilts. I think Auntie got wrapped in hugs also;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving these two quilts, especially their names! I’d like to see a closer up of your floppy feathers quilting! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are both so sweet. They will be treasured for years and so much thought and love was put into making them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sea creatures are such fun! The animals will keep even the parents guessing. I saw the hippo sitting on a hassock, holding a hankie, with honey and a hurricaine lantern on a heart-decorated table and watched by a hen. Her hat is handy there and she has a happy smile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both wonderful. I especially love the alphabet one! You really are a fab auntie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I BET that makes a quilting auntie happy! That alphabet one is just so adorable, and I do love the back. As for crabby crabby...LOL that cracks me up too! That's a great quilt too. Yay for even more gifts! Love your title. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So so wonderful - love that alphabet panel and the yellow plaid backing fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That would make any quilting auntie happy! Both are very cute, but I love the fabrics in the hugs and kisses quilt. And I have a funny feeling I have seen that plaid somewhere before.....

    ReplyDelete
  18. 'Hugs and Kishes, Covered in Fishes' how fun is that?
    And the ABC quilt is darling too.
    Super gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am shocked to see that yellow plaid (not). They are both great quilts and quite different from each other. Like the fun of the second in finding all the things and I like the boldness of the first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on finishing 2 fun baby quilts!!! That striped binding is perfect. And love the sweet panel prints. Her reaction is the best--tear it open and do the happy dance!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much quilty goodness in this post. Love those sea creature quilts. Fun pattern! The alphabet panel is super cute. Was this an ebay find? You always have such fun fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful projects that will make and be part of great memories too. You always make great choices in your quilts. The photo at the side of your boat is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Two fun baby quilts! I am sure they will be loved to bits. You have a way with quilt names: Hugs and Kishes :). I struggle to name mine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are THE BESST quilty auntie!!! I love both quilts....and have already printe4d the X and O's pattern...thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on your finishes! Both so different and so beautiful. I have now downloaded the pattern and will be making a hugs and kisses quilt too. So cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. two great quilts, but i particularly love the pink fabrics on the backing

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll reply as soon as I can.